“Thank you so much for a fantastic visit. The children really enjoyed your time with them and I’ve had really positive feedback from all of the teachers. I was pleased that I also got to sit in on one of the sessions. Thanks again Gillian – we were very lucky to have you!”
Lizzie Ryan, Northland School, Wellington
Invite me to read to children during book week, to host a fun book and craft activity in the school holidays or to run a workshop on writing non-fiction, nature writing or poetry.
Workshops for children
Popular sessions and workshops for children that I run include:
- interactive readings from Whose Beak is This?, Whose Feet are These?, or Whose Home is This? complemented by crafts, such as making geckos with sticky feet or kākā masks
- for middle and senior primary students, an interactive session on ‘Tips for Writing Non-Fiction”, using high interest factual books in the ‘explore and discover’ series as examples
- expressing ideas about the natural environment and conservation through poetry.
I’ve recently enjoyed running writing workshops for the Porirua Harbour Trust with local schools. Follow the link to my blog, for an account of these workshops and samples of student writing Writing workshops for children.
For an account of a Storylines tour of West Coast schools in 2018, read here Forest, Fungi and Whitebait: West Coast stories.
You can contact me directly or through Rosemary Tisdall – Workshops & Literacy Programmes or the Book Council Writers in Schools if your school, organisation or library is interested in workshops or presentations on writing non-fiction, nature writing, or poetry.
Notes for educators
I’m a former teacher and educational publisher. See About & Contact for more on my background and experience. I’ve written notes to accompany most of my books for parents and educators, these include activity ideas and curriculum links. These can be accessed from each title’s page on www.pottonandburton.co.nz.
Interviews with me and articles about my writing
- 28 October 2015 on Porirua Library Blog http://www.porirualibrary.org.nz/Services/Children-s-Library/Bee-s-Bookish-Blog
- on page 3 of The Guardians of Pauatahanui Inlet Dec 2014 Newsletter: Author Talk: We Chat to Gillian Candler.
- 12 April 2017 on Porirua Library Blog http://porirualibrary.org.nz/Services/Children-s-Library/Bee-s-Bookish-Blog
- The Sapling 10 May 2017 http://www.thesapling.co.nz/single-post/2017/05/11/It’s-a-Fact-There-just-aren’t-enough-non-fiction-books-for-Kiwi-kids
- Backcountry November 2017 Nature for Children interview and reviews
- Magpies: talking about books for children Vol 33 Issue 5 Nov 2018 https://www.magpies.net.au
- The Sapling Co-interview with Janet Hunt 11 December 2019 https://www.thesapling.co.nz/single-post/2019/12/11/Author-Cointerview-Janet-Hunt-and-Gillian-Candler
- RNZ interview about “New Zealand Nature Heroes” 11 January 2020 https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programmes/the-weekend/audio/2018729562/gillian-candler-s-nature-heroes-conservation-for-kids