I write award-winning factual books for children, about New Zealand nature. I also write blogs and the occasional magazine article. It’s important to me that my books are enjoyed by families, as well as welcomed by schools. I’m pleased to play a role in education outside of classrooms – in lifelong learning.
The “explore and discover” series, illustrated by Ned Barraud and published by Potton and Burton.
- “At the Beach: explore and discover the New Zealand seashore“ published in 2012 – winner of the 2013 Elsie Locke Medal for non-fiction in the Lianza Children’s Book Awards and a finalist in the 2013 NZ Post Children’s Book Awards
- “In the Garden: explore and discover the New Zealand backyard“ published in 2013 – a 2014 Storylines Notable Book
- “Under the Ocean: explore and discover New Zealand’s sea life“ published in 2014 – a 2015 Storylines Notable Book and a finalist in the 2015 NZ Children’s Book Awards
- “In the Bush: explore and discover New Zealand’s native forests“ published in 2015
- “From Moa to Dinosaur: explore and discover ancient New Zealand“ published in 2016 – a finalist in the 2017 NZ Children’s Books Awards
- “Up the River: explore and discover New Zealand’s Rivers, Lakes and Wetlands” published in September 2017.
The “Whose …?” series, illustrated by Fraser Williamson and published by Potton and Burton:
- “Whose Beak is This?“ published in 2015- a 2016 Storylines Notable Books Award and a finalist in the 2016 NZ Children’s Book Awards
- “Whose Feet are These?“ published in 2017.
For more information about my books including notes for parents and educators with activity ideas, click on the links above. See my Book-Ed blog for news about my books.
My books are available to purchase online at www.pottonandburton.co.nz and at all good bookstores across New Zealand.
You can read interviews and articles about my writing here:
- 28 October 2015 on Porirua Library Blog http://www.porirualibrary.org.nz/Services/Children-s-Library/Bee-s-Bookish-Blog
- on page 3 of The Guardians of Pauatahanui Inlet Dec 2014 Newsletter: Author Talk: We Chat to Gillian Candler.
- 12 April 2017 on Porirua Library Blog http://porirualibrary.org.nz/Services/Children-s-Library/Bee-s-Bookish-Blog
- The Sapling 10 May 2017 http://www.thesapling.co.nz/single-post/2017/05/11/It’s-a-Fact-There-just-aren’t-enough-non-fiction-books-for-Kiwi-kids
- Backcountry November 2017 Nature for Children interview and reviews
Read my nature blog here at www.explorediscovernature.blogspot.co.nz. My articles have been published in Forest and Bird Magazine and Wilderness Magazine.
I am a member of the New Zealand Society of Authors and the NZ Travel Communicators.
“Last night Under the Ocean was launched by Michele Whiting, Principal of Corinna School in Porirua East at the Children’s Bookshop at Kilbirnie, Wellington. Michele said she had test-driven the book in preparation for her launch speech with a group of enthusiastic readers from the school and their comments had more than ticked all the boxes for interest/ accessibility/ look of the book (design) and for general all over AWESOMENESS.”
Around the Bookshops review of Under the Ocean 2 October 2014